From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:23:21 +0200
 > >•           What could be used as a placebo

If I understand well, and if one considere honey like
a drug in pharmaceutical field, the martix of the drug
is a mix of sugars (glucose, fructose, maltose,
etc.)/water while the active ingredient is... anything
else present in the honey.

As far as I am aware of pharmaceutical standards,
there are 2 kinds of placebo used : one kind to detect
any analysis interference, and one kind for clinical
study. The first type is exactly the drug (all
ingredients kept in same proportions) but the drug
substance (the active ingredient). The second type is
the matrix (no active ingredient) but in proportions
corrected to allow semi-large production (the pill's
mass is kept constant). Namely, the proportion of
inert ingredient of the matrice (often amidon) will be
increased.

Pharmaceutical good manufactring production (GMP)
require you avoid any contamination of you matrice's
ingedients with the active substance. So no contact
are allowed. As an example, you have to weight the
active ingerdient the last to avoid any contamination
of previous ingredient by residus on instruments or in
the air.

In our case, that means, if I am correct, the placebo
would be a mix... of pure sugars and water (now define
what is the purity standard for your application !). I
would not be comfortable with ultrafiltred honey
because I am not shure every potential active
substance (who kows ? organic acid, phenolic
compounds, enzyme that react on fructose to produce
H2O2, many possibilities) would be removed according
to the purity standard, and anyway this matrice would
have been in contact with active ingeredients.

Bonne chance pour le financement !

Hervé