From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:42:00 -0700
Re almond pollination

I spent the day with Dr Mussen last week, and we share what we hear and see.

The supply appears to have been a similar situation as last year--a
shuffling of colonies at the last minute to fill in collapses.  Lots of
boxes with only a few frames of bees.  Lots of deadouts.  Lots of loads
rejected, then placed somewhere else!

Many beekeepers had much better colonies than last year--they got onto
feeding and parasite control.  But unacceptable fall and winter losses are
taking a big bite out of their profits.  Some who actually tried to increase
their numbers went down in flames.

I drove around some orchards where bees were carefully graded.  Beekeepers
appear to be generally struggling to produce strong colonies.

Growers benefited by exceptional weather--there was no problem setting a
crop.  Half the number of colonies would have sufficed.

If there were a glut of bees, the price would drop back to $50 in a flash.
The reality is that there is no need to count colonies--the offered price
will tell you how robust the supply of decent colonies was.

Randy Oliver