From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:36:02 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
Thanks to Peter for the post!

What I would do if Obama appointed me to be CCD Czar.
( We can dream can't we!)

I would see that this whole CCD thing has went nowhere and this is what came
out of the millions spent:

Quote from the Peter B. post:
"of the *more* than 200 variables we quantified in the study, 61 were found
with enough frequency to permit meaningful comparisons between populations."

So:

I would say OK we now know what could be a problem to bees. Now lets go to
the beekeepers hives which are booming today. boiling with bees and do the
same studies on these colonies.

My guess is we WILL  find many of the above 200 variables.( common mitacides
used etc.)

subtract those from the 200 and look at the missing variables in the booming
hives.

My guess (based on my personal observations ) would be that for a start KBV
and nosema ceranae  are two of the known problems found in the first CCD
samples to be missing from today's healthy bees.
Maybe found but in lower levels than the CCD samples.

If you go back to my statements on BEE-L in the fall of 2006 ( in archives)

I said then and say now that one needs to spend as much time looking at the
healthy bees as those with CCD to solve the riddle.

I really do not expect the CCD working group to solve the issue and come up
with a workable solution to CCD for commercial beekeepers.

My break is over. rain has stopped and bee work starts in an hour.

bob