From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 10:50:21 -0500
According to directions, apistan is not supposed to be used while honey is
being stored for human consumption.  I don't get the logic behind this -
anyone trying an experiment with colored sugar-water will find that it ends
up all through the hive.  Nectar is often stored in brood cells to ripen
up, then raised up into supers for storage later.  So there is NO way to
prevent honey stored temporarily below where Apistan is (or recently was)
from being mixed in with the surplus.  This is especially true where the
treatment is made in the spring prior to supering, when the brood nest is
expanding.  Honey will get moved up as the queen expands the brood area.
Maybe not much honey, but still...

Incidentally, use of apistan is another point in favor of wide brood frame
spacing (i.e., 9 instead of 10). The increased space between combs makes
contact with the strip easier and the strip is less likely to "block"
surface of adjoining comb.

Related question:  Is it pretty well established that the dose of pyrethrin
in strips is below useable levels after 5-6 weeks?  I've heard talk of
scratching up the strips' surfaces and using them again (against
recommendations).  "One use only" restrictions would of course allow the
manufacturer to sell more, and as far as I know there's only one
manufacturer - has anyone looked into this?

Many thanks,   JWG     (Dismayed at finding another yard with only 2
colonies left alive...)