Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:39:39 -0600
Garth & all,

Just a quick thanks for your replies on my queenless hive.

I had the inclination to think they were in need of a queen, though
entirely not sure since they gave me mixed signals (didn't group
together in clumps and quite agitated)  though, they did quiet down
pretty quickly.  They were moved into their new hive toward the end of
the evening & I was pretty efficient in shaking those bees into their
new home..

Yesterday I popped the top of the hive & found them clustered together
in a swarm-like group (I left plenty of room between frames in one of
the supers) and found they had eaten 1/2 gallon of sugar-water (in a
day!), so I'll assume they might have found their queen again.

Since I still am not 100% sure (following advice from Tom
Elliot-Beekeeper) I shook some of their bees off into a NUC which I had
grabbed two frames of eggs from other hives, and gave them the new
queen.  This might buy me a week or so to see if the newly-hived bees
show they have a working queen or not.  If she shows, or I see brood on
new comb, then I'll keep the NUC for an observation hive.  Otherwise,
I'll combine them.

Greatly appreciate your advice, as you've let me know I'm likely on the
right track!

Regards,
Matthew Westall - Castle Rock,Colorado - USA