From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2017 17:38:51 -0400
On 4-Aug-17, at 10:29 AM, randy oliver wrote:

>>> I cannot understand why anyone would need twelve 11 7/8" frames...
>

> The trick seems to be to keep a box of "stickies"
> (recently-extracted drawn combs) directly above the excluder, so
> that the
> bees don't plug out the brood chamber with honey or pollen.

Hi Randy & All

The statement above concerning stickies is certainly not true here in
Ontario.  The bees store brood food (honey & pollen) in the first
super above the queen excluder.  That super does get travel stained
with all the up & down traffic.  The brood chamber is wall to wall to
wall brood(I run 9 frames per box) except a very small band  of honey
at the top of most frames.  I have one  hive permanently installed on
a platform scale which I check each evening and it often gains 10-20+
pounds per day.  Last year was my best ever with 8 singles and  6 June
nucs(queen cells used) producing over 3000 pounds of packed honey.
Most years we have great July & September flows but this year it has
rained almost daily with severe thunderstorms and heavy downpours often.
Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W   ( once again at 5PM today, as I am writing this, Environment
Canada issued a severe thunderstorm warning for much of southern
Ontario including here )