From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:44:22 -0400
> I have a different problem with plastic foundation in medium wood frames.
> I bought my frames from one manufacturer, and my foundation from another.
> There seems to be a problem with the fit, but it's not a consistent
problem.
> Sometimes the frames seem too shallow for the plastic foundation and it
> forces the bottom bar to bow, or the foundation to bow, or it forces the
> nails out, or even splits the bottom bar. It seems as though either the
frame
> is a little too shallow, or the foundation is a little too tall. But
> sometimes the fit is just right and the foundation seats loosely but
snugly
> in the frame.

I had exactly the same problem when I first combined plastic foundation with
wooden medium frames that had grooved top and bottom bars.  The foundation
simply would not fit the frames.  The supplier insisted I was constructing
the frames incorrectly, suggested all sorts of solutions (like cutting the
corners of the foundation, inserting the foundation prior to nailing the
frames, and others that did not work), and refused to exchange the
foundation for crimped wire which I was willing to use in desperation to get
an acceptable fit.

What I finally discovered was that the width of the raised pattern on the
foundation was too thick to fit into the grooves of the top and bottom bars!
The foundation was of the correct size, but the grooves were too narrow for
the foundation to fit!  I ended up having to run both ends of the foundation
through my router to trim it down enough to fit into the grooves.  I pointed
out the problem to my supplier who in turn pointed it out to his
manufacturer, and now the grooved top and bottom bars come with a wider
groove.

> But I resent spending the time and money to do a lot of extra work to make
the equipment
> field ready.
Yes, to this day I am not happy with how this situation was handled.  Every
time I come across the bowed frames (and I constructed MANY before I figured
out what was wrong) I am not happy.  I bought the grooved frames and plastic
foundation to save on time when time was critical.  I spent a good deal of
time diagnosing the problem and correcting the combination, and my supplier
got a free fix at my expense.  But that's water over the dam.

John, I suspect your immediate solution can be found at a router.  As far as
buying all your equipment from the same source, that will only work if your
source does the same.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!