From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:18:36 -0400
Hi Andy and All:

><BEENEWS> 10.6.98 Citizens Against Government Waste. In an attempt to
>``pull the wool'' over taxpayers' eyes, legislators inserted the language
>to revive the federal mohair program -- as well as the honey and wool
>subsidy programs -- in the $56 billion agriculture appropriations bill,
>which is laden with other pork-barrel goodies disguised as ``emergency''
>farm relief.

and

> I have been told honey will be
>supported at about $.56 in some form of a farm loan program.

I am happy that American farmers and beekeepers get some measure of help
from their government.  There is certainly very little margin in farming
(and in beekeeping, if the price does drop below $.56).

But it irritates me that the American government then turns around and slaps
trade impediments and expensive legal challenges under the Free Trade
Agreement against Canadian farmers for almost each and every tiny bit of
help the Canadian government might give to our farmers.  In terms of
beekeeping this has been pretty well zip.  We now pay for all inspections
and services. I am told we have our New Zealand brethren to thank for this
for "showing our government the way to slash spending".  I must confess that
a few years ago when the Canadian government cut the last subsidy to the
railroads it "eased the pain" for a couple of years with a feed freight
assistance program.  I got a whopping huge windfall.  I think it was fifty
cents a hive.

"Level playing field" ????? Guess it depends on who is holding the level.

Regards, Stan