From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:12:41 -0600
Dave:  There has been considerable discussion on this list about the use
of Crisco patties to control tracheal mites.  It seems to work and there
are several research studies as well as beekeeper reports that support
the contention and explain how it works.  The patties have to be left in
almost continously since the oil/grease seems to interfer with host
recognition by the mite (at least the last I heard from the folks trying
to understand the mechanisms involved).

However, a word of caution.  Don't leave antibiotic extender patties in
all year round!  That could easily lead to resistance to the antibiotic
by any number of disease pathogens - a scary thought.

That is my one reservation about the use of patties in the colony - that
someone gets the notion that if a Crisco patty is good for controlling
mites, and if a Crisco patty laced with antibiotics is good for
controlling diseases such as Foul Brood, why not combine the two to save
mixing two batches.  So, please don't do this.

Thanks

Jerry Bromenshenk
University of Montana