From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:13:51 -0500
Mark

I think I need to clarify my comments - wax does rapidly take up whatever is in the hive surroundings.  But, that doesn't mean is useless to rotate out combs.  Many of the older pesticides were very persistent  - have long residue times, which may be lengthened if the bees have seal over.

Think of comb as being like a bee suit.  A bee suit is white (assuming you buy the traditional coveralls) and it's pretty ONCE during its life-span.  Soon as you wear it, you get some dirt on it.  Wear it every day, it gets more dirt, mud, grass stains, bee stings.  Eventually, it won't be white.  Don't wash it, and it will get so grubby it will  practically stand upright by itself.  Some folks don't mind, but I don't like wearing dirty clothes.

Frankly, we have to keep our clothes clean when doing environmental sampling - especially when in an area of soil/dust contamination.  That means we wash bee suits (or at least those who wear them, my  clothes go into the normal wash cycle since jeans and t-shirt are my most common bee work clothes).

The upside for the crew is less stinging - the suits don't stink of alarm pheromone.  My point is, washing the suits on a regular basis makes them reasonably clean, never purely white (unless you use a LOT of bleach - despite what the detergent's claim).  That doesn't mean washing isn't warranted.