From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 16:55:07 -0700
Hi:

We have kept observation hives going year round at UM over a period of
several years.  Our hives are kept in normal classrooms and offices, so
they never get very cold.  In somewhat milder climates, we have kept small
nucs going through the winter using heat tapes - a much safer approach than
using light bulbs and more controllable.  Most come with thermostats, so
they don't run all the time.  And they are more or less weather proof
(i.e., water, etc.).  Just lace the tape back and forth in an S-shaped loop
between the hive cover and the glass.

As per getting the bees too warm, check out our on-line observation hive.
The hive is attached to a south facing window by about 3 ft (1 m) of
tubing.  The counter that counts the comings and goings of bees through the
window is position at the window, not the hive.  On really nasty days, the
bees cluster.  You won't see any counts on the counters, and you won't see
any bees walking past the camera mounted in the entrance/exit tube (between
the counter at the window and the hive further back in the office).  But on
a warm, clear day you will begin to see bees and small counts as bees pace
back and forth through the tube.  Beats me how the bees know that some days
it just isn't ever going to clear or warm up, so why waste the effort to
check on the weather;  and on other days they pace back and forth waiting
to go out.

Bottom line, if it is nice enough for them to go out on a cleansing flight,
they will.  If not, they won't even bother to look.  And remember, the hive
in my office is toasty warm regardless of the outside weather.

Jerry
Jerry J. Bromenshenk
Research Professor
The University of Montana-Missoula