From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2018 19:00:43 +0000
" does anyone have any data on cost/benefit for feeding bees?"

Is this question not a matter of local circumstances plus the business model the bee keeper is in?  I think it is clear some people can benefit from feeding subs.  Others, like Pete and me probably do not get an economic benefit.  In fact I am not so sure I get any benefit at all, economic or otherwise.  But, I live in pollen heaven from mid March to Nov 1.  Not everyone is so lucky.

If I were going to almonds I would need to move my bees south far enough for them to raise a bunch of brood in Jan and likely have to feed them to get them to raise the needed brood.  Unless I did those things the bees would not make grade for almonds.  The big commercial guys are not stupid and just wasting their money feeding sub.  They need the stimulation and food to go to almonds.  Were it not for almonds they might well not feed sub either.

Conclusion:  There is no one answer to this question that fits every business model.  The hobby bee keeper has a very different model from the commercial guys.  And not all commercial guys have the same model.

Dick