From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:18:27 -0700
>"I get numerous people approaching me, asking if I "would like" to put A
(singular) beehive on their property to pollinate their crops...I think it is paramount to get people's way of thinking to come into alignment with this fact!"

I like the way you think on this issue.  I, too, have quite a few people who think they're doing me a favor by letting me put a single hive on their property.  I usually negotiate a minimum of four, with option of expanding to 16 or 20 in order to make it worth my time.  Now you know if they are serious if they agree.  "Rent" (what they want to charge me for the opportunity) is usually a couple of quarts per year.

>"When other beeks place colonies for pollination, do they leave them at
that location all year??? That would not seem like a sound business
decision, especially if the area was not heavily infested with honey
producing plants!"

I have some pollination opportunities and I leave the hives in that location year round.  I DETEST moving colonies.  Been there, done that, hate it.  I'm still too small to afford the equipment.  Moving is by hand cart and trailer.  Year round placement works when I find a location with diverse foliage and alternative crops for the "off" season.  Secondarily, moving is a lot of time and energy.   It's sound business for me to leave the hives in the same place year round.

Grant
Jackson, MO