From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:05:17 -0400
Bill

We've used Testor's and in Guatemala I saw dozens of colors of Testor
paint being sold for queen marking.

I personally don't like Testor's paint - too slow drying.  And  some of the
other craft paints have solvents like toluene that are toxic.   I haven't
looked recently to see what Testor's uses as the base  solvent.

We prefer the old-timer's approach. Get some dry pigments at an art/crafts
store and some shellac, which is alcohol based.  It dries very fast, the
alcohol flashes off.  Best to make your own shellac using flakes and  ethanol
(not methanol).  Then mix in as much pigment as you like for good
contrast/color.

We often set up a small table and a feeding dish.  Bees getting a free
lunch are so pre-occupied, you can add a dot of color with brush or toothpick,
and she won't even notice.

Jerry