From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:39:01 -0500
Ken Black asks about designs for queen bee incubators.

I use an incubator to hold queen cells over night.  The same can be used to
hatch queen bees.

I obtained an old refrigerator from the local electrical store.  I use an old
refrigerator because it is already well insulated.  I purchased a thermostat
that is designed for a chicken incubator.  This has less temperature
variation than most other thermostats.  The last thing you want is overrun on
the heating cycle.

I have two 60W light bulbs.  Two because sometimes one blows and one will keep
it going.  I use rigid construction light bulbs as these last longer than
normal household light bulbs.  I have a thermometer inside and a digital one
with a thermocouple for outside reading.

I used to have a small computer fan for circulation but after this failed, and
actually caused extra heating in the incubator, I never replaced it.  I felt
that the convection currents from the heat of the light bulbs gave enough
circulation.  A tray with water in the bottom helps keep the humidity up.

A tip.  If you want one for 30 queens, make it for 60.  You will be sorry
later if you don't.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA