From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:05:42 -0400
Jose:

sad to see how journalists with
large readership
oversimplify stories by picking the most dire
situations, the most eloquent
voices and in many cases "copying and
pasting" and repeating past accounts
that through repetition tend to
become the truth.  In so doing they misguide
the average reader

My take, that article is 9 years and 8 months out of date.  Rolling Stones used to do a better  job, but as we all know, in past year, they've failed miserably on other stories that grabbed national and international attention.

The one thing that I did notice, the article stated that Mr Doan and by implication, other east coast beekeepers, were initially wound up about neonics by people at PSU proclaiming loudly and widely that neonics were likely to be at the root of all this.  What surprised me initially, was  that this proclamation, based on their initial presentations from around 2006-2007, made a lot of allegations about the evils of neonics, presumably confirmed by stacks of articles that they carried to meetings and workshops (more of a let's weigh the reports then on the substance of the reports), but they only had one iffy chromatogram from the initial wave of bee losses that occurred end of 2006/beginning of 2007.

Then they did a better job and screened a bunch  of samples using the USDA AMS analytical lab, and they didn't find many samples with neonics, but they did find a lot of samples with high levels of miticides and miticide break down products.  But the original beekeepers apparently never got the update.  Now Dr Lu at Harvard is 'confirming' what the beekeepers originally heard from PSU, and so it goes.