From:
"Orville G. Marti" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 90 11:08:47 EDT
On Sun, 26 Aug 90 11:49:06 CDT KEN JOHNSON said:
>I am a small beekeper on the Gulf coast of MS.
>
>Is Nosema a common problem in this part of the country?
>What is the best time to treet and why?
>And does the Fumidil-B get into or affect the honey?
>
>I have a 600x microscope, can I itentify the Nosema my examining the
>bee stomachs or is there another method for itentifying it?
>
>Ken Johnson     <[log in to unmask]>

    I don't have the answer to the first three questions, but
    probably the best way to examine the bees is to grind them
    (individually) in a tissue grinder (or mortar and pestle)
    with a small amount of saline or water, filter the grindings
    thru several layers of cheesecloth to remove solids.  Then
    centrifuge (or let the filtrate settle for several hours
    in a refrigerator) and examine the sediment for spores.
    If you have phase contrast attachments for your microscope,
    the spores will be very prominent.  You can see them adequately
    with brightfield.  If you need more information, let me know.
    I am not an insect pathologist, but another guy in the lab is.
    However, we are in temporary quarters, and he doesn't have easy
    access to e-mail.

    O.G. Marti