From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:36:38 -0500
On 30 Jun 97 at 11:28, Graham Read EOS wrote:

> I hived my first swarm 10 days ago onto foundation. Found the queen
> a day later. Did a quick inspection yesterday, Bees drawing comb
> nicely, no eggs or larvae yet, but I was surprised to see two 'play
> cell' queen cells.
>
> Is this normal, or is it that I got a virgin queen and she hasn't
> mated yet, but why the started queen cells ?

'Play cells' are quite normal in any size of hive. The really are for
emergency and are often not in an area where supercedure will take
place. It matters not how big the hive is, I saw some recently in a
baby nuc which had only a handful of bees and a brand new queen.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.