From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:41:25 -0500
> Its real easy to be sideline experts, armchair quarterbacks, and seasonal experts.  And as such we read a paper here and there,  and proclaim we know they are wrong.  But if we seriously ponder it on a deeper level,  we shold know better.  Most of us have an industry where we run into those know it all experts  why are not as sharp as they think they are.  I am sure as a Vet you see it a lot,  Every one of us should reconize it.  I see it here in beekeeping.

I am not at all sure what you are trying to say, but if you think that people in industry "know better" than scientists, scholars, or researchers, -- well that is just as false as saying this latter group "knows more" than the people in the field. Framing this discussion as "us vs. them" is completely unhelpful; what is needed is consensus building. Things are not simple, the real world is complex and the solutions to problems will be complicated.

A dismissive stance such as you seem to be taking in the preceding paragraph only serves to push people more firmly into their trenches. Each "side" has a legitimate point of view whether the farmer, the consumer, the Ag chemical supplier, or the research scientist. Any one of these will be much more familiar with their area of expertise and possibly quite naive about the others'.

The more diversity in the room, the more comprehensive the discussion. It may get bogged down, or heated, or derailed,  but the alternative: to dismiss the points of view of others, serves only to invalidate the results of the discussion. Closed door hearings, secret meetings, wheeling and dealing, these are the demons ... people with different points of view.

PLB