Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2018 02:37:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> its really not appropriate to make declarative statements about things you don’t know about and understand ...Too each their own,  without disparaging the other would be a better choice.  

There was no intent to disparage anyone; perhaps "junk food" a poor choice of words to make my point.  What I meant, and what I understand is that most of the ingredients of pollen sub are not found in the natural diet of bees, e.g. brewer's yeast, egg, vegetable oil.  Does it work to help them when there's no natural forage?  Obviously.  What I wonder about is the assumed inter-changeability of protein sources, and the potential impact for bees in ways we don't fully appreciate, relative to their immune function, epigenetics, etc.   As an analogy, cattle evolved getting their protein from plant sources, and it's been a modern industry practice to supplement their feed with processed animal protein. It "works" but is probably not the best diet for the animal.

On a related point, Richard C. said,

> there likely is nothing at all in honey produced from nectar that makes it more healthy for bees than plain white table sugar.

Do you really believe that, Richard? A quick online search re the constituents of honey lists many micro-nutrients.  Science is still discovering new things re the synergistic importance of micro-nutrients, and we all know about the deficiencies of "processed" food.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2