From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 15:55:17 -0500
>I wonder if anyone has any ideas on prevention/eradication of
>wax moths? Last fall they destroy all 8 of my hives & this fall
>they did in a friends. I believe mine escaped this year. Any
>thoughts would be appreciated.

We have had numerous comments about maintaining strong hives etc. The most
obvious nobody has commented on. Keep the wax moth out of the hive to
prevent them laying eggs. My observations. The wax moths seem to be drawn to
the top of the hives. On opening hives in late summer we find the moths in
cracks and crevices around the roof. We always kill them off. At the same
time we have no top entrances  to our hives during late summer. Plus we
always maintain big hives, declining hives are a waste of time and equipment!!
        I believe that the moths hang around waiting for a brief cold spell,
when the bees cluster away from that top entrance. Then the moths move in
and lay eggs. Don't forget moths are night operators and work during hours
when the bees are clustered.
        We don't have a wax moth problem. I would suggest, no top entrance
late summer early fall. Sceened inner covers, and store spare frames and
boxes in a cold area.  We are lucky our storage is unheated and today it's
-20C. That fixes the little **#$%*+'s.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *