From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:03:01 -0400
Hello all,
Many comments have been made about reversing in recent posts. I would like
to share the method i use and most large operators in Missouri use. We feel
the extra work is worth the extra effort.

First of April (time can vary but close guess)we take each hive completely
apart. We carry extra bottoms and tops and a few extra hive bodys to speed
process. My hives are on skids but with reversable bottom boards. My skids
are the Richard Adee design except they are 3in. wider so i can use
telescoping tops if need be. The system i am going to describe is ideal for
hobbiests. We run two deeps in Missouri so thats the way i will describe the
system. Same system can be used for other combinations with modification.

1. take away mt hive body usually on the bottom and put on truck. Most are
clusters are in top box that time of year. If in both boxes set box with
least nest in it to side.

2.Put a clean bottom board on skid

3.place box with cluster on clean bottom board.

4.check for disease etc. and put rest of cluster FROM other box in box on
bottom board. Extra brood and frames of honey are equalized thru out yard or
carried over to other yards. Queenless hives or laying worker hives are
shook out and boxes are put on truck.

5. fill feeder if feed needed, medicate and put top back on and go to next
colony.

6. reduce entrance back to small opening so queen will lay brood all way
down on frames. they are in a single now. Very few hives won't go in one box
that time of year. Do the above only on a warm not windy day unless very
knowledgeable working bees.

7. we take second hive bodys back to building and cull frames,scrape frame
rails and paint boxes if needed.

8.In a week or two we bring the second boxes back and put on.

Bees work best moving upward. by doing the above all hives in the yard are
the same strength so need supering at same time.Also less robbing. We go
completely thru each hive at least once a year. We scrape all rails so
working hives is much easier later in season. Each box is painted every two
years. Bur comb is removed. we evaluate each queen. Job is easy because of
low numbers of bees. We exchange bad tops and bottoms.get rid of queenless
and laying worker colonies which are best detected by going into cluster.
Need i go on!
I have not listed every detail but you should be able to get the general
picture of beekeeping for those which make a living from the bees.
Happy Beekeeping!
Bob Harrison
Missouri,U.S.A.