Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:11:20 -0500
Smitch is right.  I have the same experience.  People at the local market
wait to buy my honey at $3.00 for a 12-ounce bear, $4.00 for a one-lb.
bottle, and $10.00 for a quart jug (3 lb.).  I could sell more than my crop
at these prices.

The crop this year was the poorest I've ever had (probably late freeze, dry
spring, extremely wet summer, etc.).  Also, I've lost 25 percent of my
colonies this summer; why, I don't know.  I pulled Apistan out of my
home-yard today.  One hive which had been crawling with bees all over the
outside of it three days ago, had not a single living bee in it this
morning -- not even a raider, nor even a wax moth.  The screened
bottom-board was covered with dead bees.  There had not yet been time for
wax-worms to get started.  There was not a drop of honey in the hive.  I
suppose they were raided out -- I can think of no other explanation for this
sudden and total collapse, but a strong colony like that ??  Usually raiding
is not so quick.  The other colonies in that yard were all fine.
Interesting business.

Walter Weller