From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:09:36 -0500
Bob Harrison wrote:
>You have to be pretty naive to believe the neonicotinoids are not killing
bees in the U.S. in certain areas!

Peter wrote:
Hmm. Some folks are saying the same thing about the chemicals that
beekeepers are dumping in the hive.

Says you and Brian?

Actually some folks do not have a clue what's being used in the 2 and a half
million hives in the U.S.. Only a percent of a percent sampled? give me a
break!

How many hives do you look at when you check a commercial beeks bees? What
percent? How many samples do you take and send off to the lab?

Be honest please?

Bee inspectors know the least! Certainly not in the loop of commercial
beeks.

 Give me some examples. Have you busted any beeks in New York using illegal
methods? How many? What were they using?

Two in Minnesota I was told and was not even one percent of beekeepers. Come
on and back up your statements with facts Brian . Not what you "think" is
going on.  Commercial beek *Lurkers* from Minnesota came on line to protest
Brian's comments!

I think some on Bee-L want to paint commercial beeks with the same broad
paint brush!

What percent of the New York beekeepers were they? You made the statement
now back up your comment with facts please. My contacts said a few minutes
ago that there has been no beeks busted for using illegal treatments in the
last year. Are they correct? Please answer.

My contacts said two in Minnesota but they did not know what was on the shop
towels.

The two most found compounds in the CCD comb samples were fluvalinate and
coumaphos . both legal treatments for varroa. Why would you expect to not
find those the most?

Silence again?
\
I said I would debate any member of the CCD working group on their findings.
No takers yet! I ask the tough questions without a stutter!

At national meetings some researchers make sure their presentations run long
enough so they do not have to answer questions. They say they will be around
all week to answer questions but seem to slip out quickly after the
presentation. The head of one bee lab even left before his labs presentation
was over at the National convention. Some on BEE-L did not have a problem
with his leaving. Many beeks did!

I have pushed for a debate between a commercial beekeeper  and a member of
the CCD team on CCD at a national meeting. I think would be very
interesting. The heck with prepared presentations all the time! Maybe during
the social hour when everybody has had a few drinks.

bob