From:
Marcin Matelski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 04:30:19 +0000
My experience is somewhat similar to what Pete described.

My workplace is a non profit that has hives on site. In July there were 12 full size colonies and 2 nucs. We check for mites every 2 weeks using sugar roll. Mite counts prior to mid July were in the 0-2 range for all colonies, but they started climbing in late July. We applied HopGuard2 and MAQS ( left over from previous season but still good and kept as recommended ) to the hives. It worked and I ordered another tub of MAQS for September treatment to help with re-infestation ( Chicago experiences seasonal robbing in August and September but this year was particularly bad in most parts of the city ). When it was time to treat again on Labor Day weekend I noticed that the Maqs "looked" different. I'm used to smelling the formic acid as soon as the plastic tub is open but that didn't happen. They also looked whiter and drier, which after inquiring about it, was told is normal for freshly produced strips. In any case I called the supplier and the manufacturer and informed them of my concerns. I was told to use the strips and monitor for mites. I used 1 strip at a time due to previous experience with queen events when using full strength dosage. The weather was within the specifications provided by the manufacturer. 3 days after applying the treatment I looked at the inspection boards and found mites but not anywhere near to what I'm used to seeing with previous applications. I continued on with the treatment and got almost the same results. Did a sugar roll after the treatment was removed and mite counts were anywhere from 1 to 27. All, except one, colonies were in the teens to the 27 range. I did OAV in late October and November and got hundreds of dead mites at each treatment from the hives. By this point, 2 of the colonies already crashed from PMS so I was down to 8 colonies. As of now 4 colonies are alive and I monitor weekly mite drops using an inspection board.

I'm not blaming MAQS for my issues and will probably use them again. My state inspector told me that the strips have changed the formula ( less formic acid ) and he wasn't fond of the new ones. But that's just his opinion.

Marcin