From:
Metro Propolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:37:29 -0700
I've taken stock of the memberships desires on multiple issues, and have found that invariably everyone wants something different.

Thus, we've tried to go with a purchase plan that's suitable to the majority, without expending a lot of volunteer effort on accommodating exceptions.

This years purchase plan was  created with close involvement from previous organizers combined with feedback from last year's participants.

There were concerns in previous years over uncertain delivery dates of Nucs, and a lot of equipment lending/sharing/swapping that seems to have lead to multiple cases of AFB.     The cause has not been definitively established, but I felt it was a risk best avoided.

It was my assessment that a package order was the best one-size-fits-all solution for members.

For those who felt that packages weren't sufficient, we provided referrals to local nuc sellers.

Two minor benefits:    The earlier delivery date for packages makes for a more rewarding experience for newbeeks, plus packages are more suitable for the growing number of Top-Bar keepers in the club.

The majority of recipients were newcomers, and were just happy to get bees.    There was a bit of grumbling from a few people who missed having nucs delivered to them.   I suspect they had simply become accustomed to Nucs, and didn't feel comfortable hiving a package.

From what I've heard most were happy, and a few weren't - And that seems to be pretty normal in a bee club.

We still have yet to send out a formal survey.

>I find it interesting that we are only hearing from the organizers of
classes and bee purchases, not the people who sign up and take what the
organizers offer.