From:
"Juan Garcia, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:13:06 -0500
Bee Culture had an excellent article by Dr. Bill Wilson in the Oct. 2000

issue. this is available online at:

[url]http://bee.airoot.com/beeculture/00oct/00oct3.html[/url]

"Although sodium sulfathiazole worked well against AFB, the medication
did not control European foulbrood, and beekeepers reported heavy
outbreaks of EFB in several parts of the U.S. in the 1950's."
"In the 1950's, bee researchers in Canada (Jamieson 1953) and in the
U.S. (Gochnauer 1951, 1953; Moffett 1954) reported effective control of
foulbrood (both AFB and EFB) using oxytetracycline HCL (Terramycin or
Tm) and other antibiotics."
"The use of sodium sulfathiazole was eventually discontinued because it
didn't work against EFB and when used for AFB, it left persistent
residues in extracted honey"

Dr. Wilson goes on to recount the treatment strategies that were
developed, including the Terramycin extender patties (Wilson et al.
1970).

AFB resistance to TM is discussed as are long-term strategies for the
future control of AFB.

I would be very thankful to anyone that could tell me how one would get
a lists of studies done by ARS personnel from Weslaco and Beltsville
that have not been published in trade journals. I would also like to
know if there are public databases that list studies/field studies done
by University personnel on bees.

Juan Garcia, Jr.