From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:32:23 -0800
Hi Martin,

Although we have not yet met, I like you already!

> I saw you from a distance, but you were very busy signing autographs so
> you could not shake my hand :-)

Was that before the kissing of babies?  ;-)

>As you see, I am not only  aware  but also  very concerned about parasites,
virus and diseases.

I realize that, Martin, and have the greatest respect for you.  I was just
messin' with you!

> >With a mistaken rationale, someone might also say that Varroa destructor
> is a new parasite recently introduced into the US.

What's to be mistaken?  I saw varroa in my colonies for the first time in
the early 90's, after inserting stickyboards each year for three years prior
to document their arrival.  They soon wiped out all but 6 of 250 colonies.
Martin, it's the honest truth that there were no varroa mites of any species
in North America until their introduction in about 1988.

> >Something similar could be applied to Nosema ceranae, again thanks to Dr.
> Ingemar Fries we know that the spores of this Asian version have been
> present in Europe but erroneously regarded as a single Nosema strain.

If N ceranae had been present in European bees for a long period, it would
be present in all old samples (it's not), and would have been spread
throughout Australia (it isn't).  I recently posted photos of spores from a
pure N apis sample supplied to me by Ruary Rudd in Ireland, who frequently
posts to this list.  The sample was taken 7 years ago, apparently before N
ceranae arrived.

> >What makes you think the «new» bugs of your list have just entered into
> the US?

Martin, several of these new parasites are visible to the naked eye.  There
was plenty of esquisitely detailed microscopic examination of North American
honey bees prior to 1960.  It is abundantly clear that tracheal mite,
chalkbrood, varroa, and small hive beetle are recent imports.  It is
disingenuous and downright silly to suggest otherwise.

> >Hope you become my first American customer!

I'd be honored!  How well do your bees handle varroa, tracheal mite,
chalkbrood, AFB, EFB, nosema, DWV, IAPV, VDV-1, and small hive beetle?  We
need a tough bee here in the States!

Martin, I sincerely wish you the very best, and success in your breeding
program.  If I ever get the chance to visit Argentina, I will request the
honor of visiting you.

Randy Oliver