From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:54:53 -0400
Juanse, I loved the quote from your grandmother, but I had the feeling that it could be shown in English a little different than the literal translation.  My best guess is that it would translate as 'The reality is quite (very) different.'  Which applies to most of life.  Reminds me of a meeting I once had in Florencio Varela, Argentina, when I worked for American Cyanamid.  The Plant Manager asked, if I could provide him with some documents, once I got back to the US.  I said, "Sure, piece of cake."  He asked what that meant, and I explained it meant it was easy to do.  He said, "Ah, here we would say 'Pan comido'".  Which, if I translate literally means 'eaten bread.'  Different words, same meaning.  Just part of why I love languages.  It became my goto phrase for years, along with 'Cojelo suave.'

Sorry to go off topic.

Bill