From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:29:05 -0800
> just cannot see the feeding, for the me good livestock feeds itself or at
> least should be allowed.

Granted, but in my area, good livestock starve from July 1 on...

I've moved my bees for 30 years to summer pasture to avoid this, and have
studiously avoided feeding, since it is labor intensive and expensive.

But a few things have changed:

1.  I must now leave some bees in the dry areas to pollinate the organic
farms that give me locations at other times of the year.  They go downhill
without feeding.

2.  As I get older, the thrill of dozens of all-day hauls to and from summer
pastures over the top of the summit is waning.  I've been experimenting with
feeding to avoid the move (still more cost effective by far to move).

3.  My bees no longer pack in as much nectar and pollen as they used to in
the good old days.

4.  Varroa and nosema call for better colony nutrition for the bees to
survive.

5.  A very strong colony in almonds now rents for nearly $200.  A few
dollars in pollen supplement may return several dollars in return.

I always prefer natural feeding, but I find that colonies respond
astoundingly well to sugar syrup and a good pollen supplement.  Both are
foods that I would eat myself, so I have no qualms that I'm feeding my bees
something unhealthy.

As far as such feeding causing problems downstream, I simply do not find
that that to be true.  The colonies are invariably healthier and stronger
due to the benefit of "proper" feeding.

Randy Oliver