Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:41:52 -0400
New subject.

>dee claims good success requeening with virgins emerged in vials without dequeening the hive first.  she simply removes the top cover, smokes the entrance heavily until smoke comes out the top, and then lets the queen in on the top before closing the cover.

Personally, I hve just chased them in without smoke and no disturbance and had good success any time I did it, but they were freshly emerged and the time of year was right.  Newly emerged queens are probably the same to bees as emerging queens.  After a while though, the word is that they are less attractive or more noticeable.

The advantage of having them emerge is that you get to see the queen.  The disadvantage is that you have to be there to see here and the emergence can be quite variable among a lot of cells grafted at the same time from similar larvae.