From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:33:52 -0400
>so you tell me you are extracting combination honey/pollen
>cell frames? that the bees put there? Why? Don't you have
>frames of honey seperate to extract above the cap area? Why
>extracting premium honey/pollen cell combined frames that
>are perfect for only brooding and thus broodnest area? You
>that tight for honey?

Pretty well every experienced beekeeper has had reason to extract a few
brood frames from the top brood box at one time or another. Being tight
for honey, I suppose is one reason, but there are other good reasons:

1.) To remove the honey from frames slated for melting due to damage
2.) To get a few empty boxes when everything is plugged solid
3.) To remove honey that is not suitable for wintering
4.) Accidental mixing up of boxes
5.) Before chemical treatments, many beekeepers exchanged frames
    from the brood chamber into the first super to loosen up
    the hive, or pulled excess brood chamber honey to extract
    and to give the bees room

In Northern Alberta, FWIW, a few years back, beekeepers were melting
pollen frames, since the broods were plugged solid with pollen, or finding
people in pollen-defficient areas to trade frames with.