From:
Carlos Aparicio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 09:43:13 +0300
Walter:

        There is more than 500 varieties of eucalyptus, most of them are able for
the honey production.

        In my farm the honey is mainly of the source of the eucalyptus tree, that
it is of very good quality.

        The main flowering, it is during the summer of the eucalyptus saligna
"Sydney Blue Gum", it is one of the improvements of a color brilliant amber
and very aromatic.
        There are also a few Grandis "Flooded gum", almost identical to
Saligna, but blossom in spring.
        In winter autumn we have the eucalyptus glóbulus "Tasmanian blue gum", not
so good quality as the previous, but equally comparable with the better.
        This last has the particularity that the nectar is so abundant in their/its
large color flowers cream, that it can be drunk of the flower something like
a nectar spoonful by each flower.  Not all  bee races are able to work this
eucalyptus,  having advantages in this "apis mellifera mellifera", above all
the other sub - especies.
                The Eucaliptus Melliodora, an average size tree, it is especially
indicated for the honey production, but it is a tree that  I know by books
alone since is not planted mostly in Uruguay.   Blossom in spring and summer.

        Eucalyptus usually will blossom after 4 or 5 years from plantation,
but there are
important diferences between them according species and plantation style.

        I have in the sight :

        El Eucaliptus en la Repoblación Forestal
        FAO
        Roma.  1981.

        In pages 318 - 319  brings a list of near 50 varieties of eucaliptus
with times of blossom, and qualities of honey.  The book is in spanish, but
surely are English Editions.  Is a superb work.

        From the bibliography of this book you can see:

        Loock, E.E.M.  Eucalyptus species suitable for the production of
honey.  Journal of South African Forestry Association Nº 16.   1948.

        CARLOS APARICIO (54)
        20 HIVES
        Playa Santa Ana
        Canelones