From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:20:20 -0500
Hello All,
My advice to my helpers has always been to get as few stings as possible or
go the full immunity route I do.

Bee stings have been addressed many times in meetings I have attended and
talks involving doctors.  Getting a few stings through the season is OK for
most beekeepers but the chance of a severe reaction is increased (Dr. Steve
Carlson at a bee convention). Most large bee operations use a washing
machine for bee suits *other* than the family machine. The reason suspected
for  family members reactions to bee stings was the expose to the venom
from the suits in the wash on other family members clothes..

*every* case I have been told about involves those which get less stings
than needed for a full immunity
(150-250 per season) and if a lifelong beekeeper the reaction happens when
the beekeeper moves from keeping a full immunity to only getting the
occasional sting.

Each person is different and always exceptions to the rule but the above is
generally excepted as correct in commercial circles.

I never wash bee suits with the family wash. I keep a full immunity . I can
be stung multiple times in dead of winter in the south with no swelling at
all after a couple months of no stings ( winter in Missouri) .

 I have never counted stings but it takes a large number of stings to keep
the immunity all year. In California waiting to place hives in almonds none
of the beekeepers (full time) ever had reactions. 2-3000 hives a night went
into almonds and many stings were involved and the next day sitting outside
visiting I never saw signs of bee stings nor talk of reactions.

 My helpers wear the full suits most of the time and do have reactions which
vary but none severe and most are heat related. I keep an epipen handy as
*it is my opinion* those in the few stings range are the first to get a
severe reaction.

As I move from full immunity over the next few years to less stings due to
downsizing and less field work I feel I could experience a severe reaction.
A couple of my friends have had reactions after going from field work to
office. Not all certainly but enough to be concerned. My family will be glad
to see the hives on the home yard go. Bee poop on the vehicles and on
clothes
hanging on the clothes line. Customers being chased by bees ( at times
stung).

I once asked Lamer Hester ( head foreman Horace Bell Honey in Florida ) the
number of stings his crew usually received in a normal day working bees. His
answer was 20-30 stings a day on good days. 50-70 when the bees are cranky.
His crew wears  full bee suits but soaked with sweet the bees can sting
through the suits. The operation had over 50 employees at the height of the
operation. At times the beekeepers worked 7 days a week. started at 6 am and
worked until the job was done. at times making round trips to the Miami area
to pull a 30 foot flatbed of honey supers the day would end around 2-3 am.
 I know as the trucks would wake me up coming in. At times I would go out
and talk to the guys. I noticed while sitting in  the Bell Hill office a few
hours later at 6 am. Lamar and his crew was punching in for another work
day. Lamar said the started at 6 am no matter the time the day ended the day
before.

I delivered a large order to a farm stand today for start up. (almost $2000
wholesale). The hives are not making comb honey nor capping what they have
drawn. I try to explain that at times we get bumper crops and other times
poor crops. At times we get all our comb honey made and other times like
this year little comb honey. I doubt many consumers of honey realize the
sweat involved in those jars of honey and the numbers of bees which
die in the field trying to bring another drop of honey back to help fill
those jars!

Missouri beekeepers:
Missouri beekeepers with *this years* honey and comb honey they wish to sell
to the Missouri State Beekeepers for the state fair please email me direct
as the club still has about half the liquid honey it needs and zero comb
honey. The members which bid on the honey can not supply the honey.
I did not bid.

I do not have the extra honey to provide for the fair this year . I have to
cover my markets first.

I told the group I can buy out of state honey and bottle but the rule is
current crop honey. Due to my health conditions and a small honey crop (
less than I normally sell)  and the fact  I am not pulling honey in this
heat (96 F. today with 110 F heat index with no end in sight the club will
have to rethink its position on Missouri only 2010 honey.

bob