Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:58:03 -0700
> Please, all, be aware that using poison blocks containing the most common
> second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides in the apiary in an
> "off-label application" may be a serious secondary-poisoning hazard to
> non-target wildlife.

That is always a concern.  I don't think that the use here is off-label
though.  I'll have to check.

As for the poisoning of  hawks, owls and other wildlife by, I assume through
consumption of dead rodents rather than direct consumption of the bait, I
would be surprised if they could get enough of the rodents in my situation
to do them any harm, but I suppose it is theoretically possible.

I know we lost the use of strychnine used as gopher poison some time back
for similar reasons, but I can easily see how the number of dead gophers
after an application could be significant.  I seem to recall, too that
strychnine has an exaggerated effect on birds.

As for mouse blocks in or under bee pallets, judging by consumption rates we
observe and the number of untouched blocks, I would be really surprised if
they have any impact on anything except the mice.  Leaving any poison lying
around and accessible is always a concern, though.