From:
Frank & Phronsie Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:19:27 -0400
If it is not already to late you can try putting on a Robber Screen.  These
can be made with 3/4" x 3/4" stock.  1 piece it the width of the hive
opening and 2 pieces about 3" to 4" long.  Nail these together to form 3
sides of a box whose length is the width of the opening.  Over this staple
1/8" hardware cloth or window screening,  leaving about a 3/4" gap at the
open side.  Next nail a piece of 1" x 2" on the screen side  to finish the
box.  The 1"x 2" should have an opening 1" x 3/8" cut in the bottom and at
one side. Nail this to the front of the hive.  The robber bees will smell
the open honey at the top of the screen and will try to enter there.  The
hive bees will find the opening and will use it and defend it.   This has
worked for me many times and I use these when it is still to warm to close
down the openings on the hives.

Frank & Phronsie Humphrey