From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:02:22 -0500
Mike asked:
Could you give details on how to use ApiLife?

I always experiment with a new product and did with Api life var.
Using less of a product is always legal but not more.

I used a full tablet on a group of hives and also 2/3 of a tablet on a group
of hives . Both had the same control but weather conditions were exactly as
recommended on the label.

Not over 90 F or under 54 F.

>.Do you need to use a rim on top of the hive to give space around the
product?

I do not believe a rim is neccessary
.
I use migratory tops and simply broke the tablet into about four pieces and
placed on top of frames in the four corners. The bees try and remove (and do
in a strong hive) or propolis over.

>Were there negative effects on the bees or queens?

Absolutely none!

>How much time does the product take to administer?

I would say about 30 seconds a hive if lids are off. I cut a slit in the
package with a knife., break the thymol into four pieces , place each piece
on top of frames in each of the four corners of the top box and then deposit
the package in a MT 5 gallon bucket.

The drawback with Api Life var is having to treat three times at 7-10 day
intervals.

A large percentage of my hives are not treated and testing  guides the
decision to treat or not and when.

I believe waiting to treat after the weather gets cold would be a problem
with Api Life var exactly the same as trying to use menthol (crystals) too
late in the season.

I also believe not keeping the  proper timing  between treatments to be a
problem but have never done testing to see how improper timing effects
control or use in adverse weather conditions effect control.

Maybe only me but I would wear gloves when handling and would keep the MT
packages outside of the truck cab as the smell of fresh tymol is not
pleasant to smell.

Bob