From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:01:20 -0500
>  Summer replacement is far better than re-queening in the spring
> when the nature of the business is to prepare for the honey
> flow.   One mistake and that unit is no longer a production unit
> for this season. Two days devoid of egg production and you are
> short 3,000 or more foraging workers. So, yes by all means,
> re-queen after the spring honey flow and feed during the dearth to
> stimulate brood rearing.
>Tim

I've found that an even better plan is to split up the non-productive
colonies into nucs at the time you would be requeening...after that
main flow. You can usually get 4-6 nucs from these non-producers.
Often they will yield additional frames of bees and brood...thinking
swarm control here...which can be used for making more nucs or
boosting weak colonies.

In the spring, you have your replacement bees with young queens...or
you could say you have replacement queens with attached bees.
Whatever...you won't have to split up your strong honey producers to
equalize your dinks or for re-stocking dead outs. You have queens for
early spring requeening. Also, these nucs are repositories for your
new queens. Their best year is the year following mating...Brother
Adam. They'll be ready to explode come spring. I figure the odds are
way better wintering 4-6 nucs with new queens, than wintering 1
colony with a new queen.
Mike