From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 08:47:20 -0400
  REGARDING           RE> Nosema

David Broman, of Luxembourg, writes:
>two of my four hives are suffering from nosema infestation.
>Full of brood three weeks ago, they're still full of brood but there are
>today much less bees than three weeks ago.  I noticed yesterday a  wax
> moth trail inside one hive.
>
>I had some bodies analysed and the results were very positive for >nosema.
>
>Yesterday i united both hives and fed them.
>
>Question:  What should i do now?  Just let nature decide or should i give
> them antibiotics?  Or is there any other solution?

Usually it is a good practice to medicate for nosema in the spring.  This is
especially true when you notice extensive damage to the colony due to this
organism.  The wax moth damage is secondary, since these moths notice that the
colony is stressed and unwilling to tackle a second assault just now.
Often, as summer approaches, nosema will clear up spontaneously, but it seems
that you need to take action now to preserve a strong healthy colony for the
days ahead.

Ted Fischer