From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:25:12 -0500
The comb foundation made by both Dadant and Kelley is excellent.  Catalog
numbers F31..., and 131, respectively.  Both run 28 sheets a pound, or
better.  (We are fortunate to have this, in other countries the best that is
available is usually 18 sheets a pound.  In the US this is principally used
only for cut-comb. Use of this relatively thick foundation is part of the
reason that all types of section comb, including Ross Rounds, are superior
to cut-comb.)

This foundation is real tricky to make.  The imprint is made as the wax
moves through two opposing metal rolls.  If the metal rolls touch, they are
largely ruined and must be retooled.  28 sheets a pound means that most of
the time the rolls are so close it is scary.  This leads to slow production,
and high costs for the foundation.

Inside Ross Round frames, I have successfully used 1/2 sheets with no
difficulties.  The bees made perfect round sections and it was impossible to
tell which half had foundation and which not.  One year I tried 1/3rd sheets
with considerably less success.  I'd say my rejects doubled compared with
normal.  This could have been due to factors other than the more narrow than
normal foundation.

While the 1/2 sheets were successful, I have not continued to use them, and
I do not know of any large producer who does so.  Frankly, cutting the
sheets is reasonably time consuming.  Moreover, the very thin full sheets
are a little tricky to handle, and 1/2 sheets are still more tricky.  This
adds up to additional labor which does not seem worthwhile compared to the
cost savings.  Depending on the quantities purchased, and whether you are
supplying capping wax and getting a 'working rate', a single sheet of
foundation will cost from $.25 to $.15.  If you try cutting foundation in
half, there is a good chance you will decide 'it ain't worth it'.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com