From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2019 08:53:07 -0600
a randy Oliver snip followed by > my comments..

I completely agree with Dick about mitochondrial analysis, but an unbroken
bloodline certainly suggests that those bloodlines have not been completely
displaced by later imports.

Pete, when you lived in San Diego years ago, you surely must have been
exposed to the hot dark wild-living bees of SoCal back then.

> There is also a poster on the wall at the Texas A&M Entomology department which seems to suggest from DNA evidence of a Spanish bee in Southern Arizona.  Since all of that is way above my pay grade I had the lab person (phd type) explain what the poster meant... to my understanding the samples were from package bees collected in Georgia, Texas and Arizona (2004). I seem to recall that the Spanish bee was actually originally from northwestern Africa, then imported to Spain and from there into the southwestern US. Not certain of the original intention of the study but my guess was it was designed to look for africanized bees in package production. The Spanish bee in Arizona was an outlier as was a scut sample from Georgia...

Gene in Central Texas....