From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 13:33:33 -0500
There is no reason a colony should not be able to live for well over 100
years.  Before our problem with mites, I personally knew of one that lived
for over 30 years in an old barn.  Unfortunately, shortly after the mites
arrived here it died.
During its life a colony will grow too large for its site.  Then it will
throw a swarm, but enough bees will remain to repopulate the site.  The
large colony I knew of used to throw a swarm every year.
However, even before mites wild colonys would die out.  This was usually
because they became infected with American Foulbrood, or threw a swarm late
in the year and failed to raise a new queen.  In the latter case, one could
make the case that the colony presumably still continued to live...only in a
new location.
But to repeat, there is no biological or other reason that I am aware of
which would put anything self-limiting on how long a wild colony would live.