From:
Andy Nachbar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:38:09 -0700
At 10:38 AM 8/25/97 +0000, Ted Fischer wrote:
>(Thomas) (Cornick) wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 97-08-22 14:45:21 EDT, you write:
>>
>> << Is dark honey from the fall flow acceptable for comb honey? >>
>> Dark honey is prone to crystalize quickly so it limits what can be used.
>
>Color is not all that important.  What is more crucial is the floral
>source.  In my experience here in southern Michigan, goldenrod honey
>is water white, yet will crystallize in several days after extracting.
>When working with that, it is critical to promptly empty your honey
>tank!!

AMEN!

Most fall, early spring or cool season honey here in central California
will crystallize very fast.

Blue Curl, which is water white will start as soon as it is extracted and
will set up on the walls of the extractor before it can drain out. Cotton
honey which also can be ww in color will set up like a rock in a few days.

The amount of crystils in the air and the temperature are the triggers.

Holding the room temperature at 80+ degrees will slow crystallization down as
will a good clean up job after each days run. Pumps that add air will speed
up the process. Heating the extracting room or daily clean up with a steam
cleaner may not always be practiable and more then once in the olden days I
have dug honey out of a large tank of rock hard honey with a square pointed
shovel standing on the honey without getting sticky.<G> But the norm is it
is a big sticky mess.

ttul, the OLd Drone