From:
Susan Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:38:50 -0700
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Allen Dick wrote:

> > We all know these sounds are inaudible to the human ear (reason I never
> > heard the sounds).
>
> 250-300 Hz is well within the frequency range that most humans can hear.

Furthermore, whether _we_ can hear it is hardly to the point. What we can
hear with our auditory apparatus is hardly a measure of what a bee
perceives without the same equipment.

We can record things now that cannot be heard by the unaided ear. And
we can certainly analyze the effects of sound outside our perceptual
range.

If what a modern telescope "sees" can be called a picture, a recording
of something we cannot hear can certainly be called "sound." But, as
Allen says, most people would have no trouble hearing sounds in the
range of Middle C.

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen                   | Beehive: If you build it,
[log in to unmask]            | they will comb.