Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:07:15 -0300
Jerry,

I have a German Shepherd dog that has been "trained" to track. In
reality I am the one on the end of a 10 metre line and through direction
of behaviour she realises what is required and does the hard bit - esp.
if she is working across a field having a liberal spreading of manure!
Over a period of time her experience have now enabled her to track and
discriminate between different scents (being either human in origin or
some other source - eg. disturbed / fermenting/ dying vegetation due to
passage of some object). She is able to follow a track depending on the
atmospheric/ ground conditions which has an age of 72 + hours. In
certain conditions she has followed a track having an age of 7 days (I
set the track).
Training to actually differentiate objects holding a specific scent and
then indicate them from ones not holding that particular scent profile
is a requirement in several tests offered by most canine associations
(CKC, AKC, KC).
To train a dog to pick out AFB contaminated frames from those that are
not - I see no particular problem in attaining that.
Just got to train them not to lick out the honey at the same time!

If you want an activity that bonds you to your dog and work as a team -
take up tracking.

All the best,

Peter
PEI, Canada.