From:
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1993 22:11:28 -0700
Initially, I responded directly to this question, not to the List Server.
Since we have analyzed bees for chemical residues for over 20 years, we
have tried many different drying regimes.

Freeze drying retains the best color.  However, it requires a freeze dryer
(a good one) and it seldom provides a really good constant weight (unless
you have a really good dryer).

Forced air drying in an oven works well.  Overnight at 95 degree C, 3-4
days at 40 degree C.  Higher temperatures may volatize chemicals of
interest.  Too high and the samples scorch.  Lower temperatures may result
in mould if you have lots of insects and don't stir them once or twice a
day.  The only reason to use low temperature is to better retain vol
Specimens to be used for dissection can be preserved in a frost-free,
standard freezer.

With care, specimens also can be dried in a mircrowave oven.  However, put
some liquied in the oven or risk damaging the microtron.  Don't put on
paper - you may start a fire.

Hope this helps.

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
Division of Biological Sciences