From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:37:36 +0100
As Jorn says, beekeepers and bee scientists who regularly get stung often DO
become sensitized to bee venom - I've talked to many of them in Europe.

Often it's triggered by one sting on the wrong day - my own case included.
I've worked with bees for over 12 years now and been stung I guess more
times than I would have liked. About 3 years ago on a sunny Sunday afternoon
I was just finishing off working my own hives in an out apiary when I got
one sting in the neck. I didn't think anything of it but by the time it took
to drive home (about ten minutes) the skin on my arms, neck and chest was
blotchy and starting to swell and itch. When I had some shortness of breath
and chest pains my wife called the doctor. I needed two shots of adrenaline
as my heart had slowed right down. This was a bad reaction, maybe
anaphylactic.

I went on a bee venom desensitization programme at the hospital in
Southampton (UK), during which time I couldn't go near bees. They gave me
shots of honeybee venom increasing in concentration and dose over several
months and fortunately, I built up an immunity to the venom rather quickly,
within 5 months. I stayed on the programme for just over another year but
went back to beekeeping in the meantime.

I was stung during this time (and after) but with no reaction - better than
before the "accident". However, I always carry adrenaline, just in case.

I continue to work with bees as it's a passion as well as a way of life for
me.

Not all people will be as Iucky as I was but a desensitization programme is
definitely worth a try.

Max

Dr Max Watkins

     Vita (Europe) Limited                              Tel     44 (0) 1256 473177
            Brook House, Alençon Link,                  Fax     44 (0) 1256 473179
    Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 7RD, UK