From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 07:08:44 +0100
Frame Grips.    A simple question and what a classic example of variety in
beekeepers' opinions.  Dozens of replies ranging from "excellent, wouldn't
be without them" to "useless, waste of money".  There must be a middle road.
Very bewildering for a beginner.  Whose advice should he take?
If one uses a full complement of combs in the brood chamber it usually
results in a tight fit.  It is important not to upset the bees at the start
of an inspection.  I have seen beekeepers, fully armoured against stings,
reduce a calm stock to fury in the struggle to free that first comb.  I find
a frame grip enables it to be drawn out slowly to avoid rolling the bees
whilst using the other hand for the smoker if needed.  Once the comb is out
the grip is of no further use as a comb cannot be properly checked held in
one hand.  I have neighbours and I always work bare handed (but always with
a veil) so I like to keep my bees happy.  Gentle removal of that first comb
is important.
<<<< Frame grips free up your hand to be able to to two things at once
while not having to set the frame on the ground or a hive lid.  Frame grips
make it quicker for me to look at my hives.  I use the hive tool to loosen
the frames.  With a frame grip in each hand I can go through a hive and look
at each frame and be out of the hive in less than two minutes and not make
the bees mad.>>>>>>

Re the above.  May  I ask what is the purpose of such an "inspection" and
how thorough was the "look"?  As I see it, a routine inspection should
include a check of  the extent and state of the brood;-- eggs, open larvae
and capped brood ratio, a hunt for queen cells and a scan of the brood for
sick larvae, knowing that AFB and EFB can arrive at any time.  Hardly
possible one handed and in two minutes.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England