From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:58:00 -0700
Scott Moser asked:

>     I have a question for the list about the use of pesticides in the
>garden.  My tomato plants are beginning to show signs of being eaten by
>tomato worms.  I was told Rotenone is safe to use on plants around bees, and
>was wondering if this is true.  I was also wondering if the bacteria dust
>called Dipel is even safer to use since it targets worms like the tomato
>worm and cabbage worms.  Which would be safest and most effective.  Any info
>would be great.  Thanks.

   In our book:  1991  Klein, H.D. and A.M. Wenner.  Tiny Game Hunting:
Environmentally Healthy Ways to Trap and Kill the Pests in Your House and
Garden.  Bantam, New York, we advocated placing some light colored material
(such as worn out sheets --- don't use your wife's good sheets) under the
tomato plants.  In a few hours, look for the tomato hornworm fecal pellets.
Then just look straight up and find the culprit.  Even though the larva
may be remarkably well camouflaged, the fecal pellets give it away (they
can only fall straight down, you know).

   I enjoy taking the hornworms so found and tossing them out on the lawn
for the jays to consume --- making new friends in the process.

   Remember, pesticides kill far more targets than those intended.

   Your library may have a copy of our book, but it is now out of print.
Fortunately, the University of California Press will publish a new version
once we get through with revisions.

                                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*
*     "The most difficult task of the scientist is to suspend judgment
about what is  *   true and what is not."
*                                                           (Susan Cozzens,
1985)
*