From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:23:13 -0400
I am sorry that I am unable to post these articles in their entirety. I am certain were you to read them you would come to different conclusions than you do by reading short snips. For example

>In Europe, it has been associated with colony collapse (Higes et al., 2008)
>and high pathogenicity in caged bees (Higes et al., 2007; G.R. Paxton et
>al., 2007),

> The author suggests above that the Spain research only involves caged bees! NOT SO!

This most certainly does not suggest this, which you would know if you could look at the reference (Higes et al., 2008) the title of which is:

"How natural infection by Nosema ceranae caused honeybee colony collapse"

What I am saying and Williams is saying is that there is mounting evidence that Nosema ceranae has been here for decades and that it does not cause serious symptoms in healthy hives. The presence of Nosema in sick or CCD hives DOES NOT prove that Nosema is the CAUSE of the collapse. They may have already been weakened by, for example, viruses, pesticides, miticides, varroa or all of the above. Furthermore, what we are discussing is a potential climate effect (difference between Germany and Spain, or between Canada and Southern US)

Unless you run side by side tests with fumagillin and track the colonies over a year, you cannot make any judgement on whether fumagillin DOES ANYTHING, other than add still another chemical into the mix. As far as the motives of researchers goes, Bob writes:

> The longer you read beekeeping research the more you see these attempts by other researchers trying to find ways to support their personal hypothesis.

Just what personal hypothesis is being supported here? The study was looking at:

"Effects at Nearctic north-temperate latitudes of indoor versus outdoor overwintering on the microsporidium Nosema ceranae and western honey bees."

He is looking to see what makes a difference. If the hypothesis is "you don't need indoor wintering" or "you don't need fumagillin" beekeepers will want to know this, especially if they want to keep their bees alive and/or sell honey to Europe.

Again, I apologize for not being able to post the entire article.